Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, August 2, 2010

The family relay

We did well. My brothers and I finished a very respectable 7th out of 36 relay teams at our triathlon yesterday. We finished 3rd in our division, which was won by the overall winners. We finished the 0.8 mile swim, 20 mile bike, and 5 mile run in a combined 2:04:00. I finished my extremely rough (bumpy) bike ride in 1:02:58. I wanted to average 20 miles per hour, and despite the horrible road surface, I did, so I was happy. In fact, I think we were all pretty happy with our individual efforts as well as our group time. And, better yet, it was really fun!

Like I said in my last post, it had been a long time since we'd done anything together. One of my brothers thought it was the first time we'd done anything sporting together since my dad used to hold backyard mini-Olympics when we were young kids. He may have been right. I think we've all got the bug to do it again, better (i.e. we may actually train), next year.

My entire weekend went well. I think my mood has rebounded. My whole family, including my older brother and his family from Nevada, were unexpectedly at my youngest brother's home for the after-tri barbeque yesterday. Again, it's very rare that we are all together, and even more rare that I tolerate it as well as I did. That's why I know my mood must be better. It was nice to tolerate, and even enjoy, their company for the day.

I'm now busy trying to figure out what to focus on next. I'm not feeling particularly motivated. I'm not in shape mentally or physically to do any racing right now, which is tough, because this month is full of local races. But I don't want to end up in the black hole again, so I guess I need to pick something out in the future and get busy. I'll get right on that...after my nap. Enjoy your week everyone!

2 comments:

NOS said...

Congratulations! 7th place is great! And I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm sure you'll be able to find something to occupy yourself very soon.

Wishing you well,
NOS

Maggie Beth said...

HOW EXCITING!!! ~ Every single second of it! SO WONDERFULLY THRILLED!!! Congratulations to you and your brothers!! What an amazing group effort!!

Let these great memories shine on you when it gets dark!! THRILLED@ JUST THRILLED!

Continued Peace ~ Maggie Beth!



.