Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, August 7, 2010

For sale

I am selling my car. Why? Because I bought a new one! This is a big deal. I've had my current car for 12+ years. I bought it brand new, and I've been the sole driver ever since. It's a 1998 Saturn SC2, and I just took it past 200,000 miles. I put a very fair price on it, and people have been coming out of the woodwork. In fact, I sold it today, but then I realized I needed it for a few more days, as I won't have my new one until Tuesday! DAH! Unfortunately, when I told the young man (buyer) this news, the deal no longer worked for him. I have at least three people coming to look at it tomorrow. I expect it will sell.

I'm going to be sad to see it go. This car has been through quite a journey with me, and it's treated me very kindly. It's funny how a person can get attached to something like a car. I actually want it to go to a "good" home--somebody who will take care of it. Isn't that a bit silly?

Anyway, I bought a 2006 Toyota Highlander with 59,000 miles on it. It's gorgeous, loaded, and big enough to carry my bike and my dog at the same time! Unfortunately, in order to keep my payment as low as possible, I'm also selling my motorcycle. My 1985 Honda Shadow has also been kind to me. I'll miss it, but I just don't ride it enough to make it worthwhile. I'd rather spend my time and money on my bicycle, I guess.

So I've been busy around here. I had to clean up my car and motorcycle so they'd shine. That was a bit of work for my very dirty car. I've also been cleaning out my house, as I plan to have a large garage sale in a couple weeks. I've got so much stuff that I never use, or that doesn't fit me anymore, or that I just no longer want, it's ridiculous! I'm feeling weighted down by excess stuff. I want to get rid of it all! Preparing for the sale, however, is also going to be a lot of work.

Speaking of work, things are quite busy there now, too. I worked 12.5 hours on Wednesday. I've got two patients in a town one hour and ten minutes away now. By the time I drive there, treat both of them, and drive back, half of my day is gone. But I don't mind one bit. And soon,I'll be driving that 1:10 in my new vehicle! Hee, hee...

Life's busy. I'm busy. Things are going well. I'm not doing a lot of exercising, but right now I'm okay. Following the Weight Watchers plan helps me feel less panicky about not training. I do hope things settle just a bit, however, because I'd like to get back on my bike. Well, I better get back to it. That laundry won't fold itself! Take care everyone!

2 comments:

NOS said...

Congrats on the new car! That must be very exciting. It sounds like you've been busy-- I think that's great because it keeps your mind occupied with things other than depression.

Wishing you well,
NOS

Maggie Beth said...

Bravo! So thrilled things are falling to place! I too have been doing some Spring cleaning. I have 4 HUGE boxes of clothes in the car right now that are TOO BIG! Off they go! It feels good to "let go" sometimes......everything has energy (positive or negative). I pulled out some letters last year and then realized I could not read them - they were hurting too badly! Then I thought, "You have moved these at least 5 times in the last 8 years and to two different states! And they hurt you so badly you can't read them?? WHERE IS THE SHREDDER???" THAT FELT GOOD! Very good! My new rule when cleaning out, "If if does not bring me joy or serve a specific (necessary purpose) then out you go!!" GOOD FOR YOU ~ So happy - you are happy!



.