Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

A lazy weekend

I don't know what it is. Maybe I'm still in garage sale hangover mode. Maybe I'm not as active as I like to think. I don't know, but I'm feeling really lazy this weekend. I got out yesterday morning to help with our local half-marathon, but otherwise I've done absolutely nothing this weekend. I contemplated riding my bike this morning--a gorgeous morning--but here I sit with my cup of coffee listening to NPR instead.

I'll be honest. I'm hoping to work up the gumption to get on my bike later today. I would like to get back in shape. I feel so much better when I'm in shape. (Although I am feeling pretty okay now!) I wish I wouldn't take these exercise breaks, as it's always so hard to get started again. But then again, I think there is something healthy about taking breaks, too. Who knows? I'm envious of those who can run and run and run for years on end and seem to enjoy it all the time. Sometimes it's just work for me. Today may be one of those work days.

I've not much else to report. Lazy weekends don't lend themselves to news and stories. I am still recovering from my garage sale. Maybe I'll get busy cleaning and rearranging my house today. Then again, maybe I'll just sit here, drink coffee, and enjoy NPR.

Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering. --Pooh's Little Instruction Book, inspired by A.A. Milne

3 comments:

Jim76 said...

Etta, I have never commented before, but want you to know that you have had a positive effect on my life. I am a fellow sufferer and consider you to be so brave. Thanks to reading your exploits on your blog, I have pushed myself "out of the comfort zone". Definitely still a work in progress, as we all are I guess. Thank you for sharing!

Jim

etta said...

Wow, Jim.
Thanks.
Comments such as yours really make my day. What an honor to make a difference in a life. I appreciate you letting me know.
Thanks again-
etta

keens shoes said...

Hi etta,

Your really not alone in this. I experienced it too...



.