Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Is it September?

I can't believe we are already into September! What happened to the summer? It seems like only yesterday I was blabbering on about my upcoming triathlon and swimming dilemma. That's already more than two months ago! Then there was my dip into the darkness in July. Thankfully that didn't last too long. August saw me take three solid weeks off from any kind of training. Not great, because I'm having a really difficult time getting started again! And now it's September. Wow. Time flies.

Like I said, I'm having a lot of trouble getting back into any kind of exercise routine. I'm proving, once again, that I can't just run, bike or swim for the heck of it. I need a goal. I need to be training for something. That's just the way I'm wired, I guess.

So I'm looking for a goal. It will soon be too cold to bike or swim outside, therefore a triathlon is not a great option. Training for a marathon is the better choice. Of course, any late fall or winter marathon will have to be out of state, as the Minnesota racing season pretty much ends at Halloween. Earlier this summer, I had a plan to run with a whole group of Minnesotans in North Carolina in early November. I let go of that plan when my basement renovation became way more expensive than anticipated. But I do need a goal...

I figure I might have some money again by December, so I searched online for December marathons. There are a few good ones out there. I focused on the ones which would be easy (and therefore less expensive) to travel to. That left me with Dallas and a few others. I've heard good things about the Dallas marathon, so I'm tentatively making that my goal. Tentatively... Tomorrow, I'm going to sit down and make a training schedule. I'll evaluate how I'm doing at the end of September before I make a more definitive decision.

I really hope I can get off my butt and get out the door once I have a goal and a schedule in front of me. Of course, you'll be the first to know if I'm succeeding or failing. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

* sending luck your way * haha as cheesy as that is but I believe you have the motivation to do it. You can do it

hang in there
xoxo
-Lisa

NOS said...

It's good that you realize that you need a goal to get yourself active. Knowing this is key to being proactive. Great job! And good luck!

Wishing you well,
NOS

Sirena Page said...

Good luck : )

Maggie Beth said...

Etta - 50% of the battle is "knowing yourself" you are well above the curve on that! Stay in it - and make a goal - but continue to LISTEN to your body (and your head! SMILE)......Good Luck!

(PS)Just a little "chuckle for you" at my expense (SMILE).

As a Southerner it is interesting reading about the weather changings coming your way. A few years ago I was riding in a car with a dear friend. Beth lived all but 4 of her 57 years, in Ohio. It was Christmas-time and she commented, "It does not feel like Christmas without snow. I have always had a white Christmas." Matter-of-factly, I said, "I have never had a white Christmas." I thought she was going to drive into the guardrail!....So that is now on my bucket list -- I want a White Christmas......(SMILE)



.