Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, September 17, 2010

An online recommendation

I got a note today from someone at nursingschools.net informing me that they featured my blog in an article about depression blogs. It's always surprising when my little blog gets recognized like this, and I am very honored. I appreciate nursingschools.net support, and I am glad they are doing their part in getting the word out about this illness.

In other news... I ran a race last night. It was a 5K cross country race at a nearby golf course. I thought long and hard about running it because I really don't care for it. This race hurts. There is a very vertical hill about 400 yards into the race, which is where the pain begins. There are 3 or 4 short, steep hills and 3 or 4 long, gradual hills interspersed throughout the course, so the hurting doesn't end until the finish. It's a bit brutal.

Knowing that I wasn't in the best shape, and keeping in mind the difficulty of the course, I decided I wouldn't race all out. It didn't matter. It still hurt. And I think I ended up going as fast as I could anyway. I was disappointed with my time, which averaged just over 8 minutes per mile, but I shouldn't have been. I knew I wasn't in racing shape. I should have just patted myself on the back for getting out there at all. But alas, my perfectionism struck again!

Perfectionism is a dangerous trait for someone with depression. Sometimes, I think, perfectionism has kept me in my low spots longer, because I expected so much from myself--even though I felt like crap! I've worked hard to keep those perfectionistic thoughts at bay when I've felt low, and I think I've been fairly successful. I've learned to allow myself space and accept where I'm at where my depression is concerned. If only I could allow myself space and accept where I'm at where my running is concerned! Like I said in my last post, I'm a work in progress.

Tomorrow during my long run, perhaps I'll keep Henry van Dyke's words in mind: Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. Carry on, my friends!

5 comments:

NOS said...

Congratulations on being featured in the article! And good job on the race.

Wishing you well,
NOS

Maggie Beth said...

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. Carry on, my friends!

HEY!! Little Bird! Sounds to me like your "CHIRPING" is being heard by a lot of folks! SING LOUD AND SING PROUD!!! We need your voice! Running the race in a certain time in a certain way? I don't care if you are the slowest or fastest - you got the HELL up and put on your shoes and you SHOWED UP!

Keep SHOWING UP HERE! I need to hear your songs!! (SMILE)! From one bird to another (I think I would be a red bird and you would be a blue bird! ~ LOL!! Makes me wonder who would step up and say - I'm a Woodpecker!!! I guess someone who bangs there head on the wall a lot! LOL!!!)

Another Diamond Day said...

Congratulations!!! :-D

Take care and hope you are having a lovely weekend!

CanPharm said...

That would be very good news for you as the simple blog for you can be recognized by other persons. But I also like your posts very much.

Unique said...

I can see why the recognized the blog, it's a nice blog.



.