Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Water, water and more water!

As we say up north, Uff-Da, we've been getting dumped on. It's been raining for at least 24 hours, I think, and there are no signs of it stopping. Basements are filling up. Rivers are swollen beyond their banks. Major highways are closed due to flooding. There is water everywhere!

Fortunately, my basement is DRY! That 6K I spent on the waterproofing system apparently was well spent. This has definitely been the biggest test my basement has had since I fixed it after it flooded 3 years ago. So far, so good. I'm so relieved. It's so dry down there, I even spent time painting it today! I would have been devastated if it had flooded again!

The weather forced me indoors for my run today. Yuck! I hate running on treadmills. Treadmills feel so much harder than running outdoors. I know some people find them easier, but not me. I always feel more tired on a treadmill. Nevertheless, it was raining so hard and so consistently, I couldn't stand the thought of doing 7 miles outdoors. I ran my tempo run on the treadmill instead.

The good thing about the treadmill was I didn't have to worry about maintaining tempo pace (8:30/mile). I set the treadmill speed, after a 1/2 mile warm-up, and took off. I did have to bargain with myself all the way through the run, though. Feeling tired, I told myself I could stop after 4 miles, and then 5 miles, and then 6... I made the entire 7 on pace. Whew! I was pooped.
But of course I felt good--physically and mentally--after I finished. That's the beauty of exercise for me. Even if I don't enjoy it in the moment, I know I'll feel better when I'm done.

I felt so energized after my run that I began painting again. Now I'm sitting here waiting for the paint to dry so I can continue on my basement renovation journey. It's still raining. It's gloomy outside. But it was another good day, and life moves on...

God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say "thank you?" --William A. Ward

2 comments:

NOS said...

Way to go on the run! I know that running on treadmills can be hard-- I LOVE running from one end of the city to the other when I'm at uni. It's the best.

Wishing you well,
NOS

Maggie Beth said...

SO sorry you guys are soaked! We are melting! Over mid-90 for almost 90 days straight!

But last spring we got a lot of rain -- EIGHT Friday's in a row we had TORNADOS! EIGHT! The running joke was, you know it is Friday because the tornado sirens are going off! I even got caught in the 'edge' of one - hail hitting the car, the car "parked" but SHAKING in the wind, etc. - Not sure which, but hail is the sign of EITHER the tornado APPROACHING or LEAVING - either way TERRIFYING!!

Okay - I'll take HOT! (SMILE)

So excited your basement is holding up well!!! THAT IS AWESOME! and cangrats on the run too!! You are doing great!



.