Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

17 miles

I finished my Saturday long run today, as I have a class this weekend. It wasn't pretty, even though the day was beautiful. Actually, I'm being too hard on myself--shocking--as it was actually a decent run. I had to take a couple of breaks along the way, and I developed a side ache around mile 14, but I finished. I averaged a bit over 9 minutes per mile, too, just as I had planned. Those last few miles colored my perception of the entire run, I guess. It was a good run.

Like I said, it's a gorgeous day today. I love fall. It is my favorite season by far! The air is warm and dry. The breeze is cool. The changing leaves are beautiful. And the smell of fall is the best. I love the sound of the leaves tumbling in the wind, too. I spent a large part of my run trampling through leaves in the parks and along shady lanes. The scenery certainly added a bit of serenity to my effort today.

Now I'm resting, watching baseball (boo, hoo... my Twins lost last night) and enjoying the fresh air streaming through my windows. I don't think I'll have the energy to accomplish much else today. I'm hoping for dinner with some friends and a Twins win tonight. Life is back to a little bit of normal now that the stress of the last week is past. I'm very grateful for that!

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.--Thomas Edison

Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work hard at it.--Author Unknown

No comments:



.