Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 19 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

The final 20-miler

What a crappy day! How's that for an opening line? No two ways about it, it was wet, sloppy, cold, dark, and windy today. Unfortunately, I was scheduled to run 20 miles--my final 20 miler before tapering for Dallas. I sat in my recliner and finished my first cup of coffee, all dressed up and ready to go, but not willing to challenge the elements. There was a slurry of rain and sleet falling from the sky. The wind occasionally whipped the slurry sideways. And the temperature? It was a balmy 32 degrees. My heart sank. I didn't want to put off my run, but I didn't want to venture out either. It was a conundrum.

Finally, after three hours waiting for the weather to break, I pulled on the Gortex and headed out the door. It was raining fairly hard, and the wind was still blowing. I told myself I'd at least do 10, and if I had to, I could finish the final 10 at the gym. But I hate treadmills. Things started okay, but by mile five I was already huffing and puffing. I walked a bit and kept on going.

By mile 10 I was soaked to the bone and my hands were getting cold. I had purposefully run far from home, and I'd begun to regret that decision. Heading into the wind from miles 11-14 didn't help. I stopped several times to regroup, refill my water, or take another gel. It just wasn't my day, and I'm sure the extra 5 pounds of soaked clothing didn't help. This was a tough run.

I started toward home. Fourteen miles showed on my watch. Only six to go, but I was wet, and my hands were freezing. I had flashes of pep but long stretches of heavy legs and sluggishness. My watch turned over to twenty miles as I stepped into my driveway. Finished. Thank God.

This was a tough, tough run. Maybe it was the weather. Maybe it was just a bad day. I don't know. It was another exercise in perseverance. I'm proud of myself for sticking it out, although it would have been nice if it was just a little easier! Now it's taper time. The Dallas Marathon is three weeks from tomorrow. Despite today, I'm happy with where I'm at. I will be ready come race day. Now, it's time to rest.

1 comment:

A. Paige Turner said...

Sweetie -- you need to move down South! (SMILE!!) It was beautiful here today!! At least 70 - if not higher! I walked out the door in a jacket and took it off when I got to the car (I did not need it!)

Hate you weren't able to run 20 in the beautiful cloudless sunshine with all the trees showing off their AWESOME fall reds and golds!! (We have not had a really pretty fall in a few years! But this year is making up for it!!)

C'mon on down Etta! We'll always welcome you! And I can assure you -- there are TONS of runners here!!

Back to your reality!!!

Congrats on facing the weather and accomplishing your goal! Hope you wrapped up all toasty for the rest of the day! ~ You did not mention Puck chomping to go out today! Bet he thought, "Silly human!" as you left to run! (SMILE)