Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giving thanks.

My gratitude list:

--I am grateful for my health, yes even my mental illness and alcoholism. After all, both diseases played a role in creating the person I am today, and today I'm pretty okay with who I am.
--I am grateful for my friends. Even though I tend to be an isolative person, I do have some incredible friends who make me smile, and laugh, and support me no matter what.
--I am grateful for my mom and step-dad. They also support me no matter what, and I enjoy spending time with both of them.
--I am grateful for the rest of my family. Despite our dysfunctional moments, they are still my family and I love them.
--I am grateful for my job. In these tough times, I have a job I love, and I work with people I really enjoy.
--I am grateful to be a runner. I am grateful for the motivation, strength, and ability I possess, as well as the opportunity to compete.
--I am grateful for my dog, Puck. What else is there to say? I don't know what I'd do without him. He completes my family.
--I am grateful for my home. Especially on days like this--colder than cold outside--I am lucky to have a warm, comfortable place of my own.
--I am grateful for the ability to care for myself. I think those of us who've temporarily lost this ability are the only ones who'd even think to add this to a gratitude list.
--I am grateful to be sober. Without sobriety, I wouldn't be able to effectively take care of myself, or more likely, I'd be dead.
--I am grateful for my sponsor, my social worker, my doctor and my psychologist. Without their expertise, kindness, and care, my life likely would have ended long ago.
--I am grateful for this blog and my readers. This space has routinely kept my illness at bay, propped me up when I was down, and opened my life to a world beyond typical boundaries.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a multitude of things for which I'm grateful. This list will likely grow. It will change as I change. Gratitude is a very fluid thing, and I appreciate the ability to feel it.

Today is a great day to reflect. I'll spend the day with close friends, in a warm home, eating delicious food and watching football. What could be better than that? I'm grateful. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

3 comments:

Maggie Beth said...

I am grateful God led me to your blog.....

God is greater than Google.

Happy Thanksgiving Etta....

Divas said...

You do have so many things to be thankful for as do the rest of us.
So glad you're still here to help us share in giving thanks!

The Blue Morpho said...

Happy T-day! One thing I'm thankful for is that I am far enough away from the depression right now to actually see I have things to be thankful for :)
Adventures in Anxiety Land



.