Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

A drinking party

It's so interesting being sober at a drinking party. I went to a good old fashioned drinking party last night. I don't know what else to call it. I mean jello-shots were involved. It was a little strange. I haven't been to a party like that--where much of the focus is on getting drunk--for many, many years. I know I haven't been to one since getting sober. It was fun. It was interesting.

The party was at the home of one of my co-workers, and it was mostly co-workers in attendance. It was fun to see them outside of work. I work with some very cool people. We played stupid games, people got loud, and we laughed a lot. I was the only one who wasn't drinking, and I was perfectly okay with that. I was just as silly and loud as many of the drunks. That surprised me a bit. I was expecting to feel more reserved without the loosening effect of the alcohol. I wasn't reserved, and I had fun.

So what's my point? Well, I was pleasantly surprised at how okay I felt. To me, it means I'm doing well. It means I'm feeling spiritually fit at this moment, and my program of recovery is working in my life. There have been times in my sobriety where I couldn't have participated like I did last night. The thoughts about joining in the "fun" would have been too great--the cravings difficult to ignore. But last night, I had fun. I was a participant. And that's what recovery is about, participating in life, one day at a time. 

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Yeah! That's good. I'm always the only one not drinking. Sometimes I'm okay with it, and sometimes I just feel left out. But this sounds like a very positive experience for you.

Divas said...

I'm glad you handled the situation well and had fun, too! I like to follow your blog and just wanted to let you know I included you in the Stylish Blogger Award! To check it out, go to: http://divasrun.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/stylish-blogger-award-and-the-winner-is-you/

This is the life said...

I had this experience too(but not repeatable)! so i try to avoid parties now, I find it hard to say "no" and sometimes friends just try to coax to drink in attempts to 'cheer me up' but yah....



.