Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, January 14, 2011

trudging along

Well, the money continues to fly out of my wallet this month. First the root canal repair, then the truck repair, and yesterday it was the furnace. After a few hours freezing my buns off, the furnace man showed up yesterday around 10 AM. He was here for a grand total of 15 minutes, and it cost me $350! But at least I have heat, and I'm quite grateful for that.

My mother offered to loan me the money to pay for the furnace, but I said no. It really would make things easier if I accepted it, especially since I received a quarterly bill for my health insurance yesterday (another large chunk of money). But I have such a hard time borrowing money from anyone, especially my mother. I guess it's a pride thing. I don't know. I thought a lot about it today, but I just feel like I need to figure this out on my own. I have other options, and even though it would be easier to let my mother help, I think I'll pursue the other options first.

In other news, I completed my 20 mile run yesterday. It was tough as usual, but it was also quite pretty. It snowed for over half of the run. The flakes were light and fluffy and lasted for a couple of hours. After it snowed, the sun came out for the rest of my run. Lovely. I think I may have even gotten a little tan! It was a good run.

I ran yesterday instead of my usual Saturday because I'm going to be busy this weekend. Two old friends are going to be nearby, and they invited me to spend the entire weekend with them--their treat! We're going to go out to some shows, maybe do a comedy club, perhaps hit a spa, spend the night in a hotel, and then do brunch on Sunday. It's been an awful long time since I've done anything fun like this, so I'm really looking forward to it! It will be great to spend time with them, and it was incredibly kind of them to offer such an opportunity. I'll let you know how it goes.

And now it's time to pack...

5 comments:

Maggie Beth said...

Well earned, well deserved! I hope you enjoy every single second of your weekend!!!

Divas said...

Sounds like you had a gorgeous 20-miler! The ice is finally going away here, but I'm still not confident enough to run outdoors. Gonna be another treadmill day tomorrow, I think.
I understand about the whole independent thing. I have had to swallow my pride, unfortunately, for a few months until my business gets going. It has been very difficult to accept help from anyone, especially my parents, but I'm so thankful for them. I'd be homeless without them.
Have fun with your friends! The spa trip sounds fabulous!

etta said...

Thank you, MB and Divas, for your continuing readership and constant comments. I'm grateful for all your feedback and support!

Lauren Alissa Hunter said...

I am so incredibly impressed by your 20 mile run... especially in the snow.... I have a hard time reaching out the door to the mailbox when it is snowing.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend, sounds like it's going to be a ton of fun!

Divas said...

You're doing a great thing with this blog and you're a great inspiration! XOXO



.