Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Austin photos

Look at the size of this medal! And that was just for finishing! I can't imagine what the winner's awards looked like! This was easily the nicest, and heaviest, medal I'd ever received.

My mom was right. This was at 18.5 miles, and I look a hell of a lot better than I felt! Remember, at this point, I was thinking I'd walk the rest of the way if I made it to 20 miles!

My friend, Kate (in white), also had a tough day. She said by this point, 18.5 miles, she was concentrating on just putting one foot in front of the other. I think you can see that in her downward gaze.

Grimacing as I approach the finish. I think that grimace came out around mile 3, and it never went away!

And here I am coming into the finish line. I'm running hard because I know it's almost over!!

6 comments:

The Depressed Reader said...

Congrats on finishing and getting that nice big finishers medal!

This Sunday I'm doing the Tokyo marathon. I'm totally not ready for it, but anyway, here it goes!

mfranks said...

Congrats! Sounds like you had a fabulous day, even with a bit of a struggle towards the end!

Meggan

Berta said...

Good for you!!! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

How awesome are those??!! love the picts and thanks for sharing!! sm

shah wharton said...

Oh I love this blog - And Congrats!!

I have some news to share with you - hope you want to get involved and can spread the word.

I have decided to do a linky – it’s called Monday Madness and it’s for those of us who blog and have some connection to mental illness. ;D I'd love a community of us to find out about one another and support each other’s blogs. These things notoriously take time to get going but I'm starting it now. Of course please come and link up too if you participate in such things.

wordsinsync.blogspot.com

Shah .X

Maggie Beth said...

Love the photos! and the post -- However I do not understand why you were shocked at the size of the medal from Texas!?


EVERYTHING is bigger in TEXAS!

Congrats!



.