Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Back on the road

Last Sunday, 6 days ago, I ran 26.2 miles under sunshine with temps in the mid seventies. Today, 6 days later, I ran 13.1 miles under gray skies with temps at or below zero! Yikes! As the sub-zero windchill froze my face this morning, I smiled at the divergent conditions. Hard to believe I was so warm only one week ago. But at least I was back on the road.

Earlier this week, I suffered a bit of let-down following The Austin Marathon. It wasn't too bad, just enough to make me nervous. I felt low. I was eating a lot of crap, and I took one more day off than I had planned before I was able to convince myself to get back to it. I'm back to training, but I'm still not happy with how I'm eating. I don't feel good about myself when I throw junk down my throat, yet I continue to do it. Baffling. Tomorrow I start a new Weight Watchers week, and I hope to get back to my sensible eating program then. That would be the final step in reversing this let-down.

I'm glad I'm back on the road because last night I realized Boston is only 7 weeks away. For some reason, I thought there was more time between the two marathons than that. It's not a big deal. It just means slightly more accelerated training than I had planned. That's why I ran 13, rather than 10, today. I just wish the road was a little warmer! And sunnier... Is that too much to ask?

4 comments:

Just Another Person said...

Your dog is very cute. dogs make me happy

Jen Daisybee said...

I really admire your tenacity. It is hard to find motivation with depression, yet you continue to find it all the time. If I did not have physical challenges such as Fibromyalgia, I would definitely do more exercise than I currently do; I imagine it would help me. I think it's great that you're doing all these marathons, and I hope you do extremely well with Boston. Good luck!

Jen Daisybee said...

Etta,
I wanted to let you know that you are the recipient of an "I Choose To Live" Award from my blog. You can copy the graphic at the top of this page if you like it, and post it on your blog:
http://www.suicidalnomore.com/p/i-choose-to-live-awards.html

There is a description of your blog on that page (you have to scroll down a bit to get to it) and a link to your blog.

Congratulations!

Alcohol Rehab New York said...

Your blog is very inspiring. Congrats for coming back on the road again. Looks like you've missed it a lot. Looking forward to seeing updates on your post.



.