Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Packing and cleaning

I spent the day getting prepared to leave for Austin tomorrow. I have to leave my house bright and early to get to the airport on time, so I am all packed. I'll be totally ready as soon as my last load of laundry dries. I also cleaned all day in order to leave my home in decent shape for my new dog-sitter. It was a busy, but exciting day. I'm anxious to get going!

Puck didn't like all the packing and cleaning. He knew something was up, and he got quite nervous. At this point, he's not willing to let me out of his sight. I'm worried about leaving him with someone new, but I think everything will be fine. Of course I can't convince Puck of that. Thankfully, I can count on Bill and Cindy to help out if needed. It's good to have good friends.

Speaking of my good friends. I spent last night with them. Bill made a steak dinner. Cindy and I made Toll House chocolate chip cookies. And our mutual friend Tim brought morel mushrooms. It was quite a feast. Satisfied, we sat at the table munching cookies and laughing long after dinner was done. I left there much later than planned, but I left with a warm feeling of gratitude. I am so grateful to have such wonderful, comfortable friends.

Well, time to finish the laundry and get to bed. I've got to be up early. I'm so ready to run this marathon, I can't wait! Usually I feel a little trepidation this close to race day, but not so far this time. I hope the race turns out as good as I feel. We shall see...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great race!

I've been reading your blog for a long time, and recently started to become a runner myself, partly inspired by reading about your journey. I admire your strength and dedication. I've not commented before, but even when I'm not saying anything, I'm rooting for you and wishing you the best.

Maggie Beth said...

Enjoy......Etta.

Team R.E.D. said...

Have a great race in Austin! Keep your eyes open for those friendly local faces (Andy H and Lori Y)



.