Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Finished

I finished. I blew up around mile 18, but I finished. Tears at the start. Tears at the finish. One week ago today, I was in the hospital and could barely move. Today I finished The Boston Marathon. I wish the run had been easier, but I am proud I persevered. I made it through the half at 3:40 pace. My official finishing time was 3:51:50. There will be more to come after I digest the entire experience.

17 comments:

Gail said...

You did awesome Etta!

Kelly said...

Goodness! Congratulations! Big hugs and happy thoughts and prayers and everything to you, from me. :)

Katie said...

Congratulations!! I live in Boston and i wish i could have went and seen everyone run. You should be so proud of yourself for running that marathon! You are an amazing inspiration to me :)

Bobbie said...

Awesome! Congratulations!

Kinza said...

Super! You can be, must be, so proud of you! I am proud of you. Get some rest, be kind to yourself, do whatever you think of that seems appealing to you. You deserve to be treated as a queen! You are one! Love, x

Michele said...

Congratulations! I am so proud of you. You rock!

Maggie Beth said...

Etta ~ It doesn't come close to covering it but Congratulations!! ~ on EVERYTHING.

Anonymous said...

Hey! You beat Renee! WTG!

~Renee's friend

Katie said...

AMAZING!! Congrats Etta. Hang in there and take care of yourself. You have so much to be proud of.

Anonymous said...

SWEET time Etta.. way to go! Therese

TSB said...

Fantastic!!!

Mohican said...

Wow!

Brain Static said...

I just stumbled across your blog a few days ago. Just wanted to say congratulations! That's what... a little under 9 minute miles? Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Good job and Congrats! I was able to track you online while I was at work so that was pretty cool actually. Never have left a blog comment before so I hope you can get this. Congrats again! Alex

Adam Glenn said...

Congratulations!

Ann Hale said...

Congratulations! You are a better woman than I!

Team R.E.D. said...

Congrats on Boston! That's a giant accomplishment, first getting there, then getting to the finish!
Tom O



.