Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

In Boston

I am here, and so far feeling okay. Actually, today was a good day. The sun came out from behind the clouds and my mood seemed to follow the sun. It's helped that I've been extremely busy since arriving late last night. My friend Kate and I went to the expo at Hynes Convention Center, which was easily the largest, most crowded pre-race event I've ever attended. After milling about with tens of thousands of others for a couple of hours we made our way to the finish line, snapped some pictures, shopped a bit in Filene's Basement, and then headed to Harvard Square for lunch and coffee. (You probably don't know this, but I used to live here with my ex, and I haven't been back in at least ten years. The memories were a bit overwhelming at first, but now I'm just enjoying being back.) After lunch, we came back to our room. I've now taken my nap, organized me gear, and plan to head out for dinner shortly. After that, it will be time for lounging and bed. The weather tomorrow is supposed to be just about perfect, except for the wind, so it should be a good day. Thank you all for your continued support. It's been really nice to have a reprieve from the desperation today. Really nice...

3 comments:

Maggie Beth said...

So glad to hear you are enjoying yourself......Maggie Beth

Lou said...

Really want to wish you the very best of luck for tomorrow. I've just returned from the London marathon where the atmosphere was electric. I know it will be amazing in Boston too and hope that you are able to enjoy the atmosphere and can soak up the positive vibes and encouragement from the crowds in Boston and from all of your supporters around the world. Being in Boston is a massive achievement, be kind to yourself and take lots of care.

Michele said...

I am so excited for you and wish you all the best. I hope to visit Boston someday. I bet the atmosphere at the marathon is awesome!



.