Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Long days

Weekends on an inpatient psych unit are quite long. It's been a long couple of days here. I haven't had a lot of company, there aren't nearly as many groups, and you can only watch so much TV. I've ridden the bike for an hour both days, and I tried to run on the treadmill last night. Unfortunately, that didn't work out too well. I've still not recovered from the Boston Marathon. My quads just wouldn't cooperate and allow me to run. I ended up run/walking 2 miles before I gave up. Other than that, I've done a lot of sleeping.

Besides boredom, I think some of the sleepiness is the result of ECT. I had my first ECT treatment on Friday. It went okay. I felt tired and wobbly afterwards, but I actually recovered fairly quickly. I was relieved when I didn't get a migraine headache afterwards. I'd often had migraines after ECT in the past. Basically, I just slept a lot and allowed myself to recover. My next treatment is tomorrow.

That's about all I have to report. My mood is a little better. I think being here allows me to relax and heal. It is a safe place without a lot to worry about (or a lot to do). Apparently, that's exactly what I needed right now.

8 comments:

Kinza said...

Dear Etta, do relax and do heal. Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

it's good to hear that your mood is better. i hope that this helps and/or continues to help. :) alex

Maggie Beth said...

Just a Hello Etta. I'm thinking about you. You have come to mind several times today ~ each time I prayed for you. Hope you are allowing yourself to rest, relax and renew.....

Maggie Beth

etta said...

To Jenny the journalism student: I need more info from you to make sure you are a real person and not a scam artist before I am willing to respond. Thank you for your interest in depression.

Anonymous said...

i hope that things are going well for you. let me know if there is anything i can do to help. or just take you mind of stuff. i do like to talk sports especially women's basketball, college or wnba. :) a visit isn't out of the question if that is what you need. just let me know.
other than that hang in there and i hope the treatment is helping. you're in my thoughts and prayers. alex

Maggie Beth said...

Etta ~ Ditto to what I said yesterday!

Maggs...

Gail said...

Etta, I do hope you realize what an incredibly strong individual you are. How you make your postings sound so positive despite the pain and the challenges you are dealing with is truly a gift. I am sure you do not always 'feel' the positive tilt to your character when you are swirling in the vortex. I think your readers and friends feel it. The strength that is evident in your journey weaves threads of hope through all of us as we face each new day. I do hope that one day you will find the place and time in your life to write a book.

etta said...

Thank you, Gail.
What an incredibly kind, supportive and positive comment. I appreciate your thoughts.



.