Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Gratitude today

For whatever reason, on this last day of May, I spent a lot of time reflecting today. And my reflections led to gratitude. It all began with my morning speed workout. I ran 7 x 800 meters. I thanked God for the ability to run as I wished. I thanked him for the lung capacity and the muscles to run fast. I thanked him for the beautiful sun and the trail through the woods. And that's when the reflection began.

I reflected back just 90 days, which was when my recent depression relapse began in earnest. It was only 90 days ago that the slide into suicidal despair started. I reflected on how well I've been feeling lately and thanked God for the night and day difference. I'm grateful today for a quality inpatient psych unit, a doctor who cared, medication, therapy, and yes, even ECT.

It's been less than one month since this recent relapse ended. I'm so appreciative of how good my mood has been over these past few weeks. I don't know why the relapse started. I don't know exactly what caused it to end. It doesn't matter. Taking advantage of the good days, that's what matters now. And that's what I plan to do. I'm grateful for the opportunity.

4 comments:

Pep Yourself Up said...

Great job keep up the good work! We know you can do it!

Maggie Beth said...

Amen and Amen......

Jen Daisybee said...

I agree that it's very important to have gratitude and to take advantage of "good days". Great point! I'm glad you're feeling better these days.

Michele said...

So glad to read you bare feeling better. I desperately want to try ECT but my psych is opposed to it. I don't want to leave him because I have been with him for 6 years and really trust him but I need tonchange his mind on this one issue.



.