Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Job update

Well, I made a decision. Yesterday, after more research and negotiating, I accepted the position at the nursing home here in town. It was a tough decision, but after talking with the physical therapist I'm going to be replacing, I had enough information to make it. I felt relief after accepting the position, and that tells me I likely made the right decision.

The reality is, even if it turns out to be the "wrong" decision, it's only temporary. Reminding myself of that was helpful yesterday. Life is temporary. That's why I try to live it one day at a time.

The other big accomplishment of yesterday was resigning my current position. I was really nervous about doing that, as I hadn't been in the office for more than one month. I didn't know what to expect. Coming back from medical leave in order to resign could have been viewed negatively. Thankfully, it wasn't.

When I arrived at the office, my boss and co-workers were really happy to see me. My boss, once I told her I needed to resign, was incredibly supportive. We ended up talking for at least 90 minutes. It was all good. She understood why I needed to resign. She was supportive of my decision. She wanted to leave things open so that I could be re-hired in the future. If the stress level of that position decreases, I would happily go back. And it's really great to know she respects me and my skills enough that she would have me. Like I said, it was all good.

I'm relieved to have made my decision. I had to say a lot of prayers and ask God for a lot of guidance in the days prior to yesterday. I think that helped. I should try that more often! While I'm sad to be leaving home health care, I'm looking forward to learning some new skills in my new position.

Life is full of change. By not dwelling in the past nor worrying about the future, I can handle the changes and move forward daily. I did a lot of moving yesterday. Today, I rest.

3 comments:

Maggie Beth said...

((HUGE SMILE)) Congrats! Etta! You know you sound a lot like me lately ~ I am discovering when God says,

"I GOT this one!" He means it!

Created everything but I feel I need to "help Him"......(shakes head....) Silly humans! ~

Again Congratulations!! What a wonderful "Now" you are having!! ~ I am proud of you Etta ~ extremely proud of you.

Michele said...

I am so happy that it all went so well for you yesterday.

Borderline Lil said...

Congratulations on making such a big decision -- for what it's worth, I think it's the right one. The fact that you had relief after making it is a good sign, as you said. Onwards and upwards for you now Etta. Blessings to you x



.