Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Tragedy in the Marathon

I ran another marathon today. The Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon runs through West-Central Minnesota along what used to be a railroad corridor. I used it as a long training run and finished in 3:42:25.

Unfortunately, that is not the news most pressing this evening. I attended this marathon with several other area runners. Our driver was a 35 year-old husband and father in perhaps the best shape of his life. He was shooting for a personal best 3:10-3:15 on this flat, fast course. After crossing the finish line around 3:14, he collapsed. He died a short time later.

There are no words for occasions like this. Why God feels the need for senseless occasions like this is a grand mystery to me. The needless agony of his family haunts me tonight. I don't know what else to say. I cannot shed any light on the darkness of the moment. Rest in peace, Paul. Rest in peace.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Terrible news. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Maggie Beth said...

What a horrible shock Etta....

I am sorry this pain has touched your life at this time......

I pray for his family and friends at this time and I pray that while you mourn you will continue to remain focused on your personal path of healing......

Peace ~ Maggie



.