Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, June 13, 2011

Back home

Sorry for the delay in writing. I was busy relaxing with my parents. I just arrived home after my week away. My parents and I did a lot of fishing, without much success, but it was still nice to be out on the lakes with the loons, ducks, and eagles--all of which had babies. In fact, last night we thought we were going to see a baby eagle test its wings for the first time. The little one kept scooting to the edge of the nest while spreading his wings out wide, but he never took off. The eagle parents sat together on a branch above the nest watching intently. It was very cool. I was glad to be out there to observe it.

Now for some exciting news...I had a date! I met a man on the bike trail yesterday. I was in the trail parking lot getting my bike ready to ride when I was approached. The guy was interested in my bike and asked me some questions about it. Well, we got to talking, and talking, and talking...and pretty soon he asked me out!

D. owns a lake home in that area (5 1/2 hours from here) but lives in Milwaukee (4 hours from here). I went over to his lake home this morning, and we went kayaking. After a couple of beautiful hours on the lake, we sat and chatted over coffee. It seemed like we could have talked forever. No awkward pauses or anything. And he was a really nice guy!

We talked again about an hour ago while we drove to our respective homes. He and I have lots in common. He's a runner, biker, triathlete, golfer, and outdoors enthusiast. We had a lot to talk about. It was nice. Distance is always an issue in a relationship, but right now I'm hopeful we can get to know each other better in the very near future. I'll let you know how that goes.

Now it's time to settle back into my own nest. I'm only going to be home for two days before I leave for Grandma's Marathon on Thursday, and I've got a lot to do!

3 comments:

Maggie Beth said...

Etta I am so excited for you!!! So glad you were able to spend time with your parents ~ out in the 'wilderness' (SMILE) - Sounds like it was restful and rejuvenating.

And if that wasn't wonderful enough you are 'happened upon' by a gentleman! I love it! So happy for you and this wonderful moment.

ENJOY!! ENJOY!! ENJOY!!!

Maggie

Jojesek said...

So happy to hear things are going well for you. You deserve it. I have to add that I admire your ability and determination to continue with the exercise through it all.

Kinza said...

WOW, I am a bit jealous, but more happy happy for you that you had these nice moments!



.