Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Doing well

I worked a few extra hours today, and things are getting better there. I'm feeling a little more comfortable, but my confidence is still lacking. I don't like that, but I'm hoping it gets better as time goes on as well.

I don't usually work on Tuesday, my speed work day, so I had to get up extra early this morning to complete my workout. It was a gorgeous, cool, sunny morning; perfect weather for a fast run. I ran 7 x 800 meters at around 7:00/mile pace. Speed work is always tough, but as usual, I felt really good after finishing.
I'm a bit more motivated since running fast at Grandma's, as I now know I have the potential to go even faster. I'm grateful to feel well enough to do the work.

I spent the evening volunteering at my track club's track meet. We hold track meets every Tuesday for 6 weeks every summer. They are primarily for little kids. We must have had more than 500 kids there tonight. It was amazing. It's so fun to watch the littlest ones, 2 years old and younger, run 50 or 100 meters. I like to hand out ribbons, which are given to every participant. There was also an adult one mile event tonight. I didn't run, although I probably should have, because I had already run hard earlier today. Oh well. Next year. It was a nice, busy night.

I'm doing well. My mood continues to hold steady, despite the stress of the new job. I'm hoping to reduce, back to pre-hospitalization levels, some of my meds. My meds work wonders, but I always like to take as few as possible. Anyway, it's nice to be feeling well. It's nice to have enough energy to run and work. It's nice to be a part of the community again. I'm grateful to be doing well. Very grateful. What more can I say?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am grateful too Etta - you sound good...very good...Maggie



.