Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

In the Northwoods

I'm on vacation in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. I'm visiting my parents. They are residing at an RV park here for the summer. We are nestled in the trees with the mosquitoes! There are numerous lakes in this area, which is one of the reasons I'm here. Fishing! I love to fish!

I got here on Tuesday, late, after driving 5 1/2 hours. Puck was still a little dopey from his surgery, so he rode fairly quietly the whole way. We went fishing twice yesterday and got skunked (no fish) both times! Today we went out again for 3-4 hours, but we only got a couple of small bass. Nonetheless, my mom is cooking up some bass right now! Tomorrow we will try again.

I'm also in the middle of my taper for Grandma's Marathon, which is now only 9 days away. I just came in from an 8 mile tempo run. It was nice running among the trees and water. I miss that. I grew up around lakes, but the corner of Minnesota in which I now reside lacks lakes.

It's tough training when I am here with my parents. They like good food, chocolate, fishing, and lounging. It's very relaxing, but not necessarily conducive to exercising. I'm pretty proud of myself for getting out there today, especially after spending most of the day lounging with a fishing pole in my hand. I brought my bike, too, and I found a local trail through the woods today. That's where I'm headed tomorrow. My last long run, only 10 miles, is Saturday. Hopefully I have enough fortitude to stick to the schedule despite the temptations.

No comments:



.