Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Injured

What a bummer. I went for my 8 mile tempo run at 6:00 AM this morning. I was back home by 6:15. Three blocks from my house, when my right foot hit the ground, my right soleus muscle (lower calf) cramped and then pulled. Actually, it felt like it tore, but I'm trying to remain optimistic. I stopped immediately. I had to. And I hobbled slowly and painfully home. What a bummer!

After spewing a few choice words, I set to work. I iced. I took ibuprofen. I put on a compression sleeve. It didn't matter. I could barely walk for most of the morning. I'm definitely done running for awhile. No 8 mile tempo run today. No 17 mile long run on Saturday. And probably no runs at all for the next couple of weeks.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do to stay in aerobic shape. My health club is closing the pool for cleaning for 10 days beginning tomorrow. Really bad timing... I'm not sure if I can bike yet, but even if I can, I won't want to bike every day. I'm concerned about maintaining my fitness.

This will be a challenge for me. I haven't been injured in a very long time. Hopefully, I'll heal quicker than I'm expecting. I'll certainly pray for that. But until then, I'm a grounded sole. What a bummer.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I am so sorry to hear about your injury as I know how much your mental health depends on your able to exercise! Good luck and I will pray that you heal rapidly.

Anonymous said...

OUCH! ~ Listen to your body Etta... and allow it to heal..

Prayers...Maggie



.