Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

This and That

Is it June already? Unbelievable!
I had orientation at my new job today. I liked the feel of the place. I begin working there in a couple of weeks.
Late next week I am going to visit my parents in Northeastern Wisconsin. They are staying at a campground there for the entire summer. I'm really looking forward to fishing with them!
I love fishing!
Puck has a bad tooth and needs to have surgery early next week. I hate putting him under anesthesia, but the tooth seems to be bothering him so it's got to be done.
I put Puck on a new anti-inflammatory called Metacam. He was hobbling a bit on an arthritic right wrist and dropping behind while we ran. He seems to be moving with more ease and comfort already, and it's only been 4 days.
Grandma's Marathon is only 16 days away.
I had a difficult run this morning. My legs were really dead. I think I'll take tomorrow off. I have to run 15 miles this weekend before the serious tapering begins.
A large group of local runners are going to run Grandmas together at a very sensible pace while honoring our fallen friend, Paul. I'm torn, as I've trained hard with the intent of running it fast. In memory of Paul, we are all wearing shirts with his picture as well.
I've been thinking about making myself available to speak about depression, running, and/or depression and running. I'd advertise my services on this blog. Not sure there would be any interest...just thinking for now.
The hospital and its aftermath were not kind to my waistline. I've gained back about 4 or 5 of the pounds I had lost since last fall. I'm working on losing again.
I have no idea how to end a post like this.
Thank you for reading. 

6 comments:

Maggie Beth said...

Thank you for writing.......

M said...

I think that your group would understand if you wanted to keep your goal of running at the pace you planned...good luck on the new job!

TMary said...

I would love to hear about depression and running, OR depression OR running. These topics are so important to me. I just finished my very first half Marathon and wow it was exciting.

The Barefoot Storyteller said...

I'm in the UK but if you were based here I would definitely come to a talk about depression and running. I stumbled across your blog last weekend when I was sliding back into depression. Running seems to be the only thing that keeps me out of the dark pit. But at times I find it so hard to get motivated to get out and run. I'm so glad I found your blog because you "get it" and reading some of your posts is like reading my own mind. Thank you for the inspiration, understanding and for being a much needed voice out there.

JD said...

I work for a non-profit that advocates for mental health consumers. Do you have an email where people can reach you?

etta said...

JD,
Leave me a comment, which I won't publish, with your contact info, and I'll get back to you.
Thanks,
etta



.