Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Healing

A full seven days prior to when I expected to, I was able to run painfree today! I got a new pair of shoes, donned the compression sleeve over my calf, and set out for a run at noon. I ran 8 miles, including six miles at my marathon pace, without pain. I'm really happy! We'll see how I feel tomorrow, but I think I'm back.

As I noted in my last post, I spent time with my new friend D. over the long weekend. Things went really well. It is too bad we live so far apart, but I'm hopeful. We have so many things in common, it's unbelievable. It seems we were meant for each other. It's nice to have the attention of someone special again. I've missed that.

My mood continues to be good. And I'm sure being able to run again will only help that continue. It's really amazing that I can feel so good within just a few months of feeling so low. Remember that time? It wasn't that long ago! I'm enjoying life right now, and that's really nice.

Feeling better reminds me depression can be conquered. It's temporary. I can't control when it throws a wrench into my routine, but I can control how I attack it. I'm glad I attacked. It didn't keep me down for as long as I feared it would. I'm grateful for that.

2 comments:

Kindred Spirit said...

Happy to hear your doing so much better.

Depression Treatment Center said...

This is a great blog! It is encouraging to read of recovery and hope. I have struggled with depression for many years and find that regular activity is one of the best remedies for me. Good running and look forward to hearing more encouraging and positive news!



.