Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A long weekend ahead

I'm busy packing tonight, as I am leaving tomorrow for a long weekend at the lake. My new friend, D., and I are spending some time together at his lake home. I'll also see my parents and hopefully get in a little fishing.

I've been extremely busy at work. I've worked the last three days in a row, and we've been swamped with patients. The days have been crazy. I can't really explain it. Things have just been a little off kilter. The patients seem sicker and more debilitated, which means a lot more physical lifting and maneuvering, and the paperwork is never ending. So far I'm handling it okay, but it is exhausting.

It would probably be less exhausting if I wasn't getting up at 4:45 AM to run, swim, or otherwise work out. But 4:45 seems to be working for me. I'm able to run outside and miss the heat of the day. I'm able to get to the 5:15 circuit training and spinning classes at the gym. And then I'm able to relax at home and eat a leisurely breakfast before work. Or, like I did this morning, do some laundry! I know I wouldn't work out or run if I left it to be done after work. There just doesn't seem to be enough time in the evenings, and like I said, work exhausts me anyway!

My training is going well. I'll run with D. this weekend. It will be our first run together, and I usually train alone, so I'm interested to see how it goes. I only have 13-15 miles scheduled Saturday. Next week is my last 20-miler before my taper begins. It's hard to believe I've got another marathon just around the corner.

That's all I've got for now. I've got to get back to packing. A long drive awaits me tomorrow, but there is a long weekend waiting once I arrive. Yippee! I'm really looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

Borderline Lil said...

Hope you have a wonderful time Etta, you deserve some happpiness!

Butterfly said...

Have a fun vacation! You've earned it! :D

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful time! Maggie

The Blue Morpho said...

That is quite a schedule! I'm not sentient at 4:45am, unless I just haven't gone to bed yet. Good luck as your training for the next marathon continues.
Adventures in Anxiety Land



.