Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Not quite healed

I thought I was healed, or at least healing, but this morning my right calf tied up after only 5 blocks of running. Bummer. I was supposed to do a speed workout of 12 by 400 meters, but instead I headed to the pool and swam 12 by 75 yards. The pool was frigid for some reason, so the workout was a bit tougher than it needed to be, but I'm glad I went. After my calf tied up I didn't want to do anything except go back to bed and feel sorry for myself. Fortunately, I nixed that idea and got my butt to the pool. Afterward, I was pleasantly fatigued.

I'm not feeling terribly pleasant about my calf, though. I'm pretty disappointed. I had a terrible long run this past Saturday, and now I totally missed today's run. I am scheduled to do a short tempo run Thursday and 18 miles on Saturday. I hope this calf thing is a very temporary cramping situation. I'd rather not miss any more miles.

Of course, if I do miss more miles, everything will be okay. I'll survive. The world will not end. Life will go on. Acceptance. At my AA meeting tonight, we discussed acceptance. How appropriate. The Big Book of AA tells me that acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. It took me awhile to accept that (ironic, I know), but it's true. If I accept the situation, rather than fight it or try to change it, I live with serenity rather than aggravation. Simple, huh? Yep, not always...

1 comment:

Krishna Priya said...

hey man take care of ur calf...



.