Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, August 12, 2011

Another weekend away

I'm off for another weekend at the lake with D. I'm looking forward to seeing him. I'm looking forward to our long run together tomorrow morning and grilling a great dinner together tomorrow night. I'll see my parents, too, while I'm there. I'm hoping to take them out on the water with us, and maybe we'll even get in some waterskiing. Puck will be there, too, of course. Did I tell you Puck was the first dog ever allowed in D.'s lake home? I told D. from the first day that we (Puck and I) were a matched set. Apparently he heard me, and now Puck's charmed his socks off anyway! It's all good. I can't wait to get going.

I'm only two weeks out from my next marathon now. D and I will run 12-15 miles tomorrow morning and then the serious tapering begins. I had a great week of running and working out this week. I'm feeling really good, and I think I'm ready. I have no plans or goals for this race. I'm going to wait and see. If the weather cooperates, and I'm feeling good in the first few miles, then I may go for a good time. If it's hot and humid, a distinct possibility, or I'm not feeling great those first miles, then I will focus less on time and more on enjoying the experience. Either way, it should be fun. D is running the half marathon, so we'll be there together and spend the rest of that weekend together, too.

I'm off now. I hope you all have a great weekend. Take time out for yourself. Find some fun. Focus less on illness and more on moments. And enjoy each moment to its fullest. That's what I'm going to try to do. I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Another Diamond Day said...

I am so happy to read this good post! :-) Have fun and good luck with the marathon! x

Anonymous said...

I Love "hearing" the excitement in your post! It makes me smile!!!

And D. has completely won ME over by allowing Puck into his life!! What a man!!!

I am so excited for your "NOW!!" Enjoy!!!

Maggie Beth

Anonymous said...

Hi Etta ~ I just saw this on one of the blogs I follow and I immediately popped over to share the link...

Christians Get Depressed Too....

http://journeymansfiles.blogspot.com/2011/08/christians-get-depressed-too.html

Maggie Beth



.