Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, September 2, 2011

Another long weekend ahead

I've not got much to report. Things are going well. I noticed a slight dip in my mood early this week, following my DNF over the weekend, but I was able to right myself relatively quickly. I just had to let go of the disappointment and focus on what my reader, Maggie, mentioned in her helpful comment. DNF means Did Not Fail. I like that. Thanks Maggie.

I'm off to the lake again this weekend. It's supposed to be nice, and of course I'm looking forward to seeing D! I'm hoping to run 13-15 miles with D and his son on Saturday. His son is training for his first marathon, which unfortunately is the same weekend as my next marathon, so D will be far away with his son on that day (as he should be). I've had a refreshingly good week of training so far. It will be nice to run through the quiet woods, with someone whose company I enjoy, to finish off the week tomorrow.

Nothing more to report from here. Have a safe, enjoyable, healthy holiday weekend!

4 comments:

WAHM said...

DNF .... LOVE THAT! Will definitely use that to encourage my kids.

I also suffer from depression, but have never gone to the doctor for it. I think this may be the year to address it. It always creeps up on me in the fall and winter. I am an expert at covering it up because I love to laugh, am very outgoing and keep very busy. However, it takes every strength of my being and hours of prayer to function in the fall/winter. I am a mom to 7 kids, of which the youngest is autistic. I hold everything together...

Your blog is very encouraging. Thank you for sharing your struggles and triumphs. You may never know how many people you are helping...

Be blessed.

;)

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog posts and they are encouraging in a way but also so discouraging in another. Good to see another that knows how I feel and everything. Not so glad to be reminded how things really are for me and reminded of the vicious cycle that is ongoing. It never seems to ever go away. The moment it dissipates is the moment I see it returning.

Anonymous said...

:) You make my heart smile!

Keep movin ~ you are doing great! Can't wait to hear about "little d"

Maggie Beth ~

Îșaren★ said...

Hello there. I came across your blog looking up what to do when depressed over losing friends. I too, have suffered mild depression being a newly graduated college student. I have felt so alone and lost, like no one cares about me. I just wanted to reach out in some small way and .. I don't know. I read your post about "no-return friends" in 2008 and I wish I had some good friends to turn to.

God Bless,
Karen



.