Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Less to say

Things are continuing to go well. I guess I could complain about my knee, which is still bothering me, but complaining is so useless. Besides, I had a great workout today. If I were able to run as I wished, I would have done 20 miles in preparation for my next marathon, which is now 3 weeks away. But 20 miles was out of the question, so I decided to bike, run and swim instead.

I wanted to work out for three hours, which is approximately how long it would take me to run 20 miles. I began my morning in the pre-dawn light on my bike. As the sun rose, I biked a 34.4 mile loop. It was quite chilly when I began, but by the time I finished, the sun had warmed me nicely. I jumped off my bike and ran 3.6 miles. My knee hurt, but it was tolerable. It was too bad, for I felt like I could have kept running forever. After my run, I drove a couple miles to my gym and got into the pool. I swam one mile. In total, I completed 39 miles in just about three hours. It was a great workout. I had plenty of energy, and switching things up definitely kept me interested throughout.

The rest of my day has been filled with errands, chores, and of course, a nap. I may go to a movie with friends tonight. Tomorrow I have to work. Pretty boring...

That's the problem with feeling well. I have less and less to say. I worry about what to write here. I don't want to bore you. I know some with depression have trouble relating when my life is so "normal." But this is my life with depression. Sometimes it hurts and sucks. And sometimes, as is the case right now, I feel well. So I apologize for having less to say, but I'll keep writing about my boring life as long as you'll have me. Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My understanding is "boring is normal"!

What's up with THAT!?!? (SMILE)

I am thrilled you are having a boring life! ENJOY! ~

Maggie Beth~

The Barefoot Storyteller said...

Etta - I find your blog inspiring whether you are well or not. I use running as my medication (I came off meds about 2 years ago now) and I love hearing about your training and racing. I've been fighting my latest bout of depression since May and running is about the only thing that has got me through. Your blog has helped keep running even when I've been so down I could barely get out of bed. As a result I achieved a PB in a half marathon yesterday - I finally got under 2 hours :).

So thank you and please keep posting even when you think you've nothing to say.



.