Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

At the lake

I'm sorry for the long delay in posting this week. I have finally recovered from my illness. I'm spending this weekend with D at the lake. It has been an unbelievably gorgeous weekend. The sun has been shining non-stop, and the temperatures have been in the 80's. The leaves are beautiful, and the smell of fall fills the air. This is exactly what I needed.

Not only is the weather beautiful, things with D are going great. We've spent a lot of quality time together. It's so great that we like to do the same things. Yesterday we returned to the bike trail in the woods, the trail on which we met, and went for a long bike ride. We stopped a few times and took some pictures, chatted with a few other folks on the trail, and generally had a lovely time together. After dinner last night we didn't want to come inside, so we built a fire and sat quietly under the stars before retiring for the night. This morning, the lake was like glass, so we set out in the kayaks for a journey around some islands. Again, it was beautiful. We took our time, took more pictures, and soaked in the sun. Like I said, this is exactly what I needed this weekend. I'm happy.

I return home tomorrow to prepare for my surgery. Tuesday really can't come soon enough. I'm so ready to get this thing taken care of. I'm anxious, of course, as I won't know until I wake up from surgery what kind of recovery to expect. The unknown is always scary. But I'm optimistic everything will work out as it should, and I will be back running soon enough. I'm trying to combat my worry with faith. Any prayers you may offer will certainly be appreciated.

5 comments:

Sharon Pernes said...

I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

So very pleased your weekend was beautiful...and that the weather was nice too! :)

Many prayers for you and all involved in your physical healing. I pray during this 'down' time you will be able to REST your mind and heal your body....PEACE...

Maggie ~

Adam Glenn said...

Good luck on the surgery...

Therapist Finder said...

Thanks for posting and I feel less alone after reading your blog. Hope I can make it like you do!

halfwaybetweenthegutter said...

I stumbled across your blog through Google, and I just want to say that it's incredibly inspiring, and full of hope. I don't think anyone could read your story and not be touched in some way. Take care of you, you've inspired me.



.