Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Disappointing news

I saw my orthopedic surgeon today. He took the stitches out of my knee, explained the photos of the surgical procedure, and checked on my progress. Then we talked about rehab. Unfortunately, the microfracture surgery he performed is not a quick healing procedure. In fact, he doesn't even want me fully weightbearing on my right leg for another 2-3 weeks. Since he repaired the patello-femoral joint, I have to avoid loading my knee when it is in any more than a slightly flexed position. That means I cannot go up or down stairs, squat, kneel, bike, jump, row, or run. I can return to swimming next week. I can return to gentle biking from a high seat in 2-3 weeks. I won't be able to climb stairs, squat, or kneel for quite awhile. But here's the kicker. I may not be able to run for 6 months. Ouch.

I wasn't expecting the running news. I thought 3 months would be the longest possible layoff. Six months took me by surprise, and I've been working on swallowing it for the rest of the day. Obviously, things could be worse. He could have told me never to run again. I guess I'm having a hard time accepting this because it was a surprise. I wasn't prepared. The other problem is The Boston Marathon, for which I am already registered, have a room and a flight, is almost exactly 6 months from today. I really wanted to run a good Boston in 2012. The news from my doctor today was very disappointing.

Despite the disappointing news, I have much to look forward to. I am really looking forward to getting in the pool next week. I feel heavy and out of shape already. It will be nice to move freely and expand my lungs again. I'm also looking forward to this weekend. D is coming to visit. It will be nice to see him and spend time together. And I'm looking forward to continued healing. Day be day, things will improve, and I'll likely be running again before I know it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Follow the advice, this is your best bet. Meanwhile, keep your spirit up. Time passes by quickly, fortunately and unfortunately :-)



.