Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Healing is boring

I've not got much to report today. I'm feeling a little better everyday. My knee is coming along. The swelling is significantly less. I'm able to put some weight on it, and I'm working on flexing it a little further everyday. I'm pleased with the progress.

The main issue I'm having is boredom! There is only so much one can do in one's own house when one only has the use of one leg! I'm spending most of my time sitting on my butt watching TV, reading, and snoozing. For a little wrinkle, I add ice to my knee. I get up and amble around, but I have a little house. That distraction doesn't take very long. The days are getting really long. I'm bored.

Things are getting taken care of around here. I'm not supposed to drive yet, but I went out to a board meeting the other night. I had to get out of the house! A friend picked me up for an AA meeting this morning. That was nice. AA'ers are good people. One friend has been taking Puck for walks. She even took him for a run today. That made him happy and tired him out! Another friend offered her sons to mow my lawn and rake my leaves. If they agree, that would be a big relief! So I've really got nothing to complain about. I'm grateful to be surrounded by such caring people.

Things are going well despite my lack of patience. I'm anxious to exercise again, and I may try lifting some light weights tomorrow. Other than that, I'll be here sitting. It's all part of the process to get me running again. That's the goal waiting on the other side of the boredom. With patience, I'll get there.

No comments:



.