Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Things are getting better

I'm healing fairly well. I spent most of the weekend inside, sitting, icing, reading, and watching TV. It was beautiful outside, so I hobbled around a bit in the driveway. There wasn't much for me to do out there, and I wasn't sure I was supposed to drive yet anyway. Today I didn't care. I got in my car and took myself to the gym. I spent 45 minutes lifting weights. People were staring at me hobbling on my crutches from machine to machine, but I didn't care. It felt good to move my body. I probably should have gotten myself there earlier.

I stopped into work to say hello. I'm hoping to get back to my job soon, as I don't know how these bills are going to get paid if I don't. Financially, I'm stressed. I hate financial stress, and that's all I'm going to say about that!

My mood remains good, but I do miss running. I'm anxious about my recovery. There's no guarantee the surgery will cure me to the point of running again, but I try really hard not to think about that. Instead, I'm looking forward to being out there in the sun again, running, and painfree. That will be a glorious day.

1 comment:

MoniqueS said...

I'm happy to hear you think things are getting better. I think its really amazing you took yourself to the gym, despite the crutches. Even better than that, its so amazing that you didn't care people were starting. Very inspirational! And I have much sympathy for the financial stress burden. I'm living at home with my parents cause I simply don't have money to live off of. Anyway, I sincerely hope the surgery helps in all the ways you want it to. I wish you so much luck!



.