Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Home again

I'm home from my weekend away with D. We had a really nice time, which made up for the stressful drive there and back. My vehicle was acting up a bit, and it made for a tense drive. Every time I thought I had the problem licked, it would crop up again. I guess a trip to the mechanic is now on my to-do list.

Anyway, the weekend was really good. Yesterday we went to The Harley Davidson Museum. As a former motorcyclist, I really enjoyed that. Last night D took me out to a nice Italian restaurant in a a very hip section of the city. We had a fabulous dinner and then walked the streets and talked. I hadn't been treated to a romantic dinner in quite a few years, so that was also really nice.

The physical distance between us was a topic of conversation a couple of times during the weekend. We both acknowledged it was difficult. We have such a nice time when we're together, but building the relationship in fits and starts is not ideal. Unfortunately, that's the way it is right now. Fortunately, it is changeable. We ended up agreeing it was best to take things as they come, one day at a time. After all, fretting about how far apart we live won't do either of us, or our relationship, any good.

My mood remains good. I'm sure being doted on over the weekend was helpful. Puck and I are now settling back into our home and routine. He's already asleep on his bed, and that's exactly where I'm headed--bed. Sweet dreams.

3 comments:

Sharon Pernes said...

I'm so glad you had a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

So pleased u and D found each other. He seems to be good for u. Pls. dont allow the distance to deter u ~ there are very important reasons to end relationships ~ but I think distance is not one of them. Not in the plugged in society we live. Things seem to work out in the end. The distance enourages u to grow a relationship on a firm foundation...u r doing well...

Proud of u Etta ~ Maggie

Coping with Depression said...

You seem like a very dear person with such good insight in your depression. I love how you keep such strong optimistic views towards what's to come :)



.