Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Focus forward

There's no change thus far in the mood department, but I'm tired of writing about that. I'd rather turn my focus forward. Today I am preparing for a weekend away with D. Actually, I've been preparing for several days, as he and I are attending his semi-formal Christmas party on Saturday. Semi-formal is not something with which I am typically associated. I had to go shopping.

It's hard to shop when feeling heavy and tearful. Fortunately, I found a couple of items fairly quickly and bought them without even trying them on. I couldn't get out of that store fast enough. My friend, Cindy, took over from there. I tried on a couple of combinations of skirts and tops for her, and we settled on a lovely combination of black on black! How appropriate! At least the color of my outfit will match my mood! Cindy set me up with a couple of accessories, like a black velvet coat, and I am apparently all set.

I am actually looking forward to this event. It's been a really long time since I've gotten all dressed up. And if I do say so myself, I believe I will look rather stunning despite how I've been feeling! Maybe I'll post some pictures and let you be the judge. Regardless of my appearance, I am looking forward to an evening of getting outside myself, focusing on others in the moment, and having some fun. As difficult as life has been recently, it's nice to focus forward for a change. 

No comments:



.