Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, January 20, 2012

The Last ECT

I had my last ECT treatment today. It was uneventful, just the way I like it. I will be in the hospital overnight, and I will return home tomorrow morning. I can't wait to see my dog! I miss him so much! Apparently, he's been quite the charmer for his caretakers. I can't wait to return home with him and settle into our normal routine again.

Overall, I'm feeling 100% better than when I came into the hospital. I can't believe the difference a few weeks inpatient and a few dozen ECTs made. I'm like a new person. I hope to stay shiny and new for a long time to come.

I'm being discharged just in time to begin training for the Boston Marathon. I don't think I'll be breaking any speed records at Boston this year, but I'm going to run it nonetheless. I'm anxious to test out my newly healed right knee. Here's hoping it holds up to the rigors of marathon training.

That's all I have for today. I'm feeling healed. Depression, I think, has been beat back once again. I hope it's a long, long time before I need to see the inside of a hospital once again.

4 comments:

Sharon Pernes said...

I'm so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear things have greatly improved and you are going home soon! Wonderful news! Enjoy! You did it!
Nancy

Imperfectly Healing said...

I am glad to see you are doing better!

Anonymous said...

Driving to the store today I saw a jogger with her dog. I thought of you and said a little prayer.

I hope things went as you planned. Sending you many, many happy thoughts.....

Maggie



.