Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

18.5 miles closer to Boston

Another beautiful day here in Minnesota. It's unbelievably warm and sunny. I just got in from an 18.5 mile run, and it went really well. I was feeling really tired earlier this week, and my legs were a bit dead over the past couple days, so I wasn't sure what to expect today. But I was pleasantly surprised. My legs felt good. My lungs felt strong. And the company of the local running community was great. There must have been 50 of us out there this morning. And while I ran the second half of my run alone, it was still nice to have so much company for the first 9 miles. I also went out with a few fellow runners for breakfast afterward. I don't usually do that, but I'm trying to spend more time with others and less time alone. And guess what, it was nice!

My mood has been holding steady. I'm feeling pretty good, and I'm feeling less worried about "the other shoe dropping." That's nice. Unfortunately, work continues to be stressful. There is just so much negativity around there. It is hard to avoid it. I do my best to focus on the patients and to stay as positive as possible. But I'm really feeling like I need to get out of there, and to that end, I had a job interview on Thursday. It went very well. Unfortunately, the position I interviewed for is listed as full-time, but I'm hoping they liked me enough that they'll be willing to consider other alternatives. Hopefully I'll know more this week. Wish me luck!

That's all I've got for today. Life is moving along smoothly. One day at a time, I'm living life on life's terms. It's nice to feel good. I'm grateful for every single moment.

2 comments:

Kinza said...

Sound great, everything. Good luck for your work move, it will happen sooner or later, but I am definitively keeping fingers crossed for sooner!
:-)

Anonymous said...

As a fellow long distance runner and depressive (the latter seems less so now in my 30s) I can empathize with you.

A while back I picked up a few books on mindfulness and meditation (a Buddhist doctrine in origin but now used by the Health Service here in the UK). It really does help.

Take care and enjoy the miles :)



.