Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, March 1, 2012

The preliminary diagnosis

It's a loose body. No, not my body. Within my knee joint, there is probably a loose body floating around in there. Most likely a piece of cartilage broke away from my previously damaged patella-femoral joint during my strength training class on Monday, and that piece of cartilage (the loose body) lodged in the joint between the tibia and femur. That explains the immediate and sudden pain I had. It also explains why it hurt to straighten my knee. Straightening the knee approximates the tibia and femur (the two primary bones of the knee joint), so anything stuck in between them would cause pain as it got compressed. And finally, it explains why my pain has moved from the anterior-medial knee joint to the posterior-lateral joint. That little loose body came loose again and is now lodged in a different spot.

The good news is I have much less pain than I had a couple days ago. The posterior-lateral pain is much less disruptive. I pretty much have full motion of my knee, and it doesn't hurt to walk (for the most part). I haven't tried to run yet. After much pain early yesterday at work, things suddenly got better. Maybe that's the point at which all the prayers made their way home? The problem, of course, is the little bugger (loose body) could come loose again and lodge in a different, more disruptive, painful spot. But for now, I'm relieved. I will consult with my doctor again today to see what he thinks about running. Believe it or not, I will follow his recommendation. For now...

2 comments:

Mohican said...

I've had this. It would move around and I never knew when it would catch me. Should be simple for a doc to remove it.

Wendy Love said...

Prayer works! Glad you have encouraging news for now....



.