Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, April 16, 2012

A Long Hot Day

I'm on my way to bed after running a very long, hot Boston Marathon. This was probably the toughest marathon I've ever finished. It was in the mid-seventies at the start, and I believe it was somewhere in the high-eighties when I finished. The sun was beating down on us from above and the pavement was radiating heat up from below. By mile four I was pretty sure I wasn't going to finish. I kept making little deals with myself about running just to the next mile marker, or even half mile marker, before walking. Early on I decided to walk up every hill, in order to save my energy, and that's exactly what I did. I ran as much as I could. I ate and drank everything that was offered to me. I willed my body to go when it just didn't want to move anymore. It was tough, but I finished. It was one of my slowest marathon times, 4:13:02, but the winning times for both the men and the women were the second slowest and the slowest, respectively, in recent history, too! It was a long day out there on the road. I'm happy to have finished.

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Yay! That's awesome. You keep going, with everything it seems, even when it gets hard. Good for you!

Paul Rhodes said...

wow..well done..hey on a cold rainy flatcanberra marathon my fastest in 453....brilliant for getting there and running the heat

Kitty said...

Congratulations on finishing! Great job!

Wendy Love said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment. Kind of like kicking depression in the face is it?

The Barefoot Storyteller said...

Etta 1 - Depression 0

Well done on a fantastic marathon effort in such difficult conditions and after all your setbacks over the past few months. Your strength is inspiring (I often think of you when I'm out running!).

Thank you again for continuing to share your experiences on this blog.

Hadas said...

congrats on the marathon! you ladies inspired me to add that to the bucket list.

Jean Grey said...

Congratulations! It was a tough day to run, and you did it! And so soon after ECT.

Anonymous said...

HEY ETTA!! I heard a news report on NPR about the Marathon - they were reporting on the fact for the first time ever there was heat advisory! - I wondered if you made it to the Marathon - AND YOU DID!!! So excited you were able to achieve this huge accomplishment --- Congratulations! Take a moment - Step outside yourself - and pretend you just watched a friend endure all you have in the last six months - NOW!! That's one strong, amazing woman isn't it!! So proud of you! ~ Maggie

etta said...

Thank you all for your kind words. Believe it or not, this blog and you readers is one of the things that kept me going on Monday. I thought about the post I would have to write, and the disappointment I would convey, if I dropped out of the race. I didn't think someone with perseverance would drop out, and since I pride myself on perseverance, how could I possibly not finish? So thanks to all of you readers for pushing me forward, one step at a time, for 26.2 miles!

Lulu said...

Omg endless congrats!!! I ran a 1/2 marathon here in nyc the day before and was grateful the heat held off until later in the day. I wondered how boston marathoners fared. You are totally inspiring!



.