Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Opportunity Knocking

I have an interview with a director today. The director is in New York City, and he's looking for people to cast in a video about depression success stories. Can you believe that? Me. I have a chance to do exactly what I intend to do when writing this blog, speaking publicly, or running a marathon. Educate. Educate. Educate. Depression is an illness like no other, but it is an illness, and it is possible to live life fully despite it. This is the chance of a lifetime. I couldn't be more excited!

This opportunity came about because of this blog. I received a comment from one of the people working on the project right after I returned from running The Boston Marathon on Monday. She had recently discovered my blog and thought I might be the right person for their project. I was honored by her comment and anxious to hear about the project, so I called her immediately.

The more she told me about the video, the more excited I became. She was a little disappointed I didn't live in the NYC area, as was I, because I couldn't go in for casting, which I think is taking place right now. Thankfully, she was willing to talk to her director about doing this first step over Skype. If I make it through the first cut, I'll have to fly to New York to continue forward with the process.

Like I said, this is a huge opportunity, and I couldn't be more excited! I hope I have what it takes to participate. I don't know what that is, exactly, but I hope I have it. I'd cherish the opportunity.

5 comments:

etta said...

Disappointment...I ended up not even getting interviewed. They called and told me they had closed casting prior to getting to me. I'm disappointed. But I guess that's how things go. I have to believe another opportunity will present itself soon. God has a plan for me. I just don't know what it is yet.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the interview. Your blog is educating! And you are inspiring! Congratulations on the Boston Marathon! Nancy

Anonymous said...

Oh, please don't be disappointed Etta! You have now seen just a tiny little 'inkling' of what God has planned for you and your life. -

As a writer I have been taught = You will receive 100's even 1,000's of reject letters before you get published! My first reject letter? I was actually excited! : ) I put it on the wall....it represented one step closer to being published. -

You, Ms. Etta are one rejection closer to being an even LOUDER voice for depression, survival and running.

God is still God -- He did not change between the excitement of a possible audition and the news the casting was complete.....

I hope you consider using the excitement you had about a possible audition and what you may do with that....a reality show? an Etta documentary?

Disappointed? Nope - but sorry you were! Maggie!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm sorry that you didn't get the interview, but if one opportunity came along, another one will.

I agree that your blog is so educational and insightful. It's real life with depression, and it helps me, and I know it helps many, many others. More opportunities will come your way to share your experiences with others.

Tina

jim said...

Sorry to hear about your not being cast. But you are on the right track, education, education.....
After dealing with depression for almost 25 years I have gotten mad and frustrated. After many talks with friends, therapists, doctors, I believe there is a huge funding gap for research. The amount of money coming into depression research is at the bottom of the list for just about every other disease. I am not sure my starting another blog would help, there are many great ones already, yours included. But I am truly serious about finding ways to increase the awareness with Congress to dramatically increase research funding for this horrible illness. In the meantime please don't stop writing, living, or recovering.



.