Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Post-marathon Dip

I'm not sure it's directly related, but it feels like I've sunk into a bit of a dip since my marathon on Sunday. I've experienced post marathon dips in my mood in the past, so I'm always watchful for changes. But I've been feeling so well lately, I'm a little surprised by this tumble.

I don't think the dip has anything to do with my performance. It wasn't that important. Perhaps it has more to do with extending myself physically and mentally. I don't know. But I've been sad, tearful, overwhelmed, anxious and fatigued for the past two days. Something is going on.

I've contacted my doctor. I'm getting extra rest. I'm going to work, exercising, and seeing friends. Well, I'm seeing some friends. I did skip a meeting, and work has been particularly challenging. But I'm doing what I can and fighting the urge to isolate. The last thing I want is for this dip to become a drop. I liked the way things were going. I want to get back to feeling fabulous as soon as possible.

2 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm sorry you're feeling like this. It sounds like you're doing the right things to get back to where you were.

You're going through a major change--a job change--in addition to the physical and mental drain of the marathon. When I've made job changes in the past, even when it was a good move to make, it still stressed me and caused my depression and anxiety to become worse. It's a whole change in environment, people, routine, etc.

I hope you feel better--fabulous--soon.

Brenda Youngerman said...

Hi,
I found your blog quite by accident and have to say that I know exactly how you feel!
I'm glad you are doing the right work to stay up beat - even though that can be quite painful at times.
Hugs to you!



.