Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, July 23, 2012

Doing well

I made my mom cry. She doesn't read my blog (my choice), but I sent her my last post in an e-mail. She said it made her so happy, she cried. Apparently, my step-dad cried too. I wasn't expecting that. My mom said it was the best birthday present I could have given her. I'm glad she liked it. It was a bit of a risk for me to send it, but now I'm glad I did.

In other news, my running is going well again. After struggling through my two weekday runs last week, I had a really good 18-miler on Saturday. I had to leave early in the morning again in order to avoid the heat and humidity. I had a couple slow miles as I wiped the sleep from my eyes and worked out the kinks in my muscles, but then I settled into a nice rhythm. I ran a steady 8:55 pace the rest of the way, and I felt good doing it. It's nice to finish a long run knowing I could have run another couple of miles if I had wanted.

Work is also going well. I'm settling in, but I still lack the confidence I'd like to possess. Nonetheless, I think I'm doing an okay job. I like my co-workers a lot, and they facility is nice. That certainly has helped me feel more comfortable. So far, it's a good fit.

Lastly, I'm doing well with my thinking and mood. A couple weeks ago, I wrote about my screwed up, intrusive thoughts. Well, shortly after writing about them, they disappeared. I had one recurrence last week while walking Puck, but otherwise my brain has been quiet. That makes me happy. Likewise, I'm thrilled my mood continues to be stable. I feel good, and I'm enjoying feeling good. I sure could get used to this.

4 comments:

Erica said...

It's amazing how good it feels when life gives you an even playing field! I'm glad things are going well for you; I hope they continue to stay good and stable!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

So glad that things are going well for you. You seem to live such a balanced life with work, exercise, relaxation. That inspires me!

michael platania said...

How wonderful to be feeling better. A few weeks ago I was hoping just to feel a little less horrible, and today I am feeling wonderful. Of course it takes work, but the results are worth it. 18 miles - that is damned impressive and every time you run that far you should think and feel that you are a champion - because you are. I don't know many people that could run 4 or 5 miles, let alone 18. I am inspired to go for a (short) run today. Thank you!

Heather said...

I'm so glad your writing about your depression. It's something so important that others can learn from and I'm glad your finding ways to deal with it. I hope when you have time you'll visit my blog Still Surviving.

Have a happy Day
Heather



.