Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, July 13, 2012

Just good.

I feel a little bit bad, as I don't think I have much to report. Sometimes, like right now, I worry about continuing this blog when I'm doing well, as I don't think my life is all that interesting. Who am I to write a blog, anyway? I'm not any more or less special than any of you currently reading this. That's for sure!

So I don't have a lot to say. I'm doing well. I'm feeling well. My mood has been good. Even my job went well this week. It's nice. My workouts have also been good. I ran fast and hard on both Tuesday (5 x 1000 meters) and Thursday (6 mile tempo run). I suffered through them, but I felt great when I completed them. I'm now gearing up for my 20-miler tomorrow. Things are just, well, good.

Good is a little boring, but I'll take boring and short blog posts over misery any day of the week! It's hard to believe I was absolutely debilitated and miserable just a few months ago. I'm so grateful to be feeling well. I'm unbelievably grateful for the energy which allows me to run as I wish. And I'm grateful for readers like you. Whether I have little or lots to say, keeping up with this blog, through the good times and the bad, keeps me moving forward and allows me to survive this illness rather than suffer from it.

9 comments:

Stationary Runner said...

I have been reading your blog for a while and can relate to so much of what you say. Please do keep writing even when things are good... It is a good reminder that depression is not permanent. I easily forget that when things are bad.

Anonymous said...

Bore me Etta! Bore me! Thrilled you are doing well! ~ Maggie

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I am so glad that things are good. I hope you will continue writing--you are an inspiration, showing me that one can live a strong life even with depression.

Erica said...

Good things are GREAT! I am so happy for you being in a good, even place right now; savor it and keep fighting the good fight! Like the individual above me wrote, it's these times that remind us that depression is not permanent; that the grey clouds do roll away; that things will get better with time.

Enjoy the good times with Puck :D

Wendy Love said...

'Who are you to write a blog?' You are just someone who writes a blog, that is just fine! Keep it up if you enjoy it and others enjoy it too! When I read blogs like yours, even if I don't get specific ideas from it, I get inspired and I say 'if she can manage her depression, so can I!' Blogs like yours give me courage to keep on keeping on.....Thanks.

The Blue Morpho said...

I agree with the others - writing about the good times are just as important as the bad times. Life is both, and it is good for us all to see and understand each others ups and downs.
Adventures in Anxiety Land

Sid said...

I sometimes feel the same, that when things are going well they seem kind of boring to write about. Often times my "happy" posts can seem rather mundane because the depth of my depression is so severe that the good times never seem exuberant enough in comparison. I say just keep on posting. Even if you feel your post is boring, there maybe someone reading it that is feeling hopeful that they too can rise above the darkness of depression.

michael platania said...

I am exactly where you are today. A few months ago was horrible, and as I told two friends on the phone in the last 24 hours, I am good, and considering where I was, good is a really great place to be.

I have committed to writing my blog every day. It's part of my 60 Day Feel Good Challenge, and helps keep me in this place and not backsliding.

My concern now is that I've plateaued, and when I sit in this space to long, it's easy for old habits to kick in, so while good is good, I need to move forward, even though I don't want to.

Bauer Akina said...

Hey,
found your blog while looking for help and for stories of people who managed to get help. I´m so glad to hear that there can be parts in life that feel great even though you´re sick. Brings hope to me :)
Thank you!
If you would like to read about my journey (and definitely some strange problems) feel free to do so!
http://yenruojtojoy.blogspot.de/



.