Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, August 10, 2012

Rolling along

There's not much going on in my life these days. I appreciated all of your comments, as usual, about stigma. I'm still fed up, and I now resolve to speak up even more. I encourage you to do the same. The only way to educate others is to discuss our illnesses, and their debilitating effects, with others.

Like I said, I'm rolling along. My training is going well. I had two great workouts already this week. Yesterday's tempo run was a bit more difficult than I would have liked, but I got it done. I'm set to run 18 miles tomorrow morning. Weird...I'm actually looking forward to it. I get a lot of thinking done over those long miles. I guess it's kind of relaxing for my brain. Like I said, weird.

Work is going well. I'm still getting comfortable with seeing outpatients, but I'm a little less freaked out than I used to be. I've actually been shuffled around to some other buildings lately, as our building has been really slow. Working in unfamiliar surroundings brings more challenges and anxiety, but so far I've handled it okay. I hope to continue feeling more and more comfortable and skilled as time goes on.

My mood remains good, and my thinking is clear. I'm maintaining an attitude of gratitude today. Working in healthcare, I'm constantly reminded how quickly one's life can be unexpectedly altered. I'm feeling grateful for my good mental and physical health today. I'm feeling grateful for my buddy, my companion, my boy... that's my dog, Puck. He keeps me smiling and grounded. I don't know where I'd be without him. An attitude of gratitude. Try it. And keep on keeping on, my friends.

3 comments:

ruby-tuesday said...

Hey there,

I've just found your blog and can identify so much, too much
I suffer from various mental health disorders including anorexia/bulimia, depression, anxiety and am also a recovering heroin addict
I'm currently in therapy for my eating disorder but I often feel it's one step forward and two steps back

Reading your blog gives me hope x

Borderline Lil said...

Sometimes the only smile I get in a day is from my beloved cat Charly. I'm so glad you have Puck xx

michael platania said...

18 miles - that's impressive. The more I work out the more I start to look forward to it - as though my body craves the activity. Keep up the good work!



.