Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Marathon on the Horizon

It's Sunday, and two weeks from today I will be sitting here recounting the details of the wonderful, hopefully, fast, hopefully, marathon I ran that morning. Two weeks from today is The Twin Cities Marathon. I ran 13 miles at marathon pace yesterday, and I felt pretty good, especially considering I had a very busy week. I spent my time running, especially when I was feeling good, visualizing marathon day. Hopefully, those visualizations will help when marathon day is actually upon me.

I'm really looking forward to this race. I'm trying not to let the negative, worry thoughts slip in. It's a bit dangerous to get too excited about a marathon, as it's such a long race, anything can happen. But I feel like I've trained really hard, and I've definitely put in the work to set myself up for a good day. That's all I could do. The outcome is yet unknown. We'll see what happens. Only two weeks to wait.

4 comments:

dreambigrunner.com said...

Good luck! Visualization is a powerful tool. I also like to use mantras. My favorite one is: whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are right! Positive self talk can make or break a race!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Sounds like you are doing all you can do, as you say, beforehand to set yourself up for good things. I hope the marathon goes well for you. And I hope you're enjoying the journey of getting ready for it.

midnight rainbow said...

Good luck to you and don't forget to enjoy the journey to race day. :)

AdHoc said...

Good luck. I am sure you´ll do well.



.