Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Still better

Things are going well. I'm feeling fairly good. I'm probably not back to normal yet, but I'm much closer than I was. I have occasional intrusive thoughts which creep into my brain, but today those thoughts are more annoying than they are frightening or worrisome. So things are moving along.

The one symptom I am still struggling with is fatigue. I'm flat out sleepy! I'm making it through work, but I sleep for at least an hour immediately after I get home. I spend many hours sleeping, after I finish running, on my days off. Fatigue always seems to be one of my lingering symptoms, so this is nothing new, but I'll be happy when it passes.

Other than that, I have little to report. I'm in the first week of my three week taper for my upcoming marathon. I had a great workout yesterday, and I'm generally feeling ready to go. I think it's going to be a long three weeks. I'm anxious to get to the starting line.

That's it for now, my friends. I'm living life on life's terms, and right now the living is getting a little easier. I'm very grateful for that.

4 comments:

dreambigrunner.com said...

Thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear you are feeling much better!

jim said...

Hey, any day where you can wake up and see the sun, is a good day. Your persistenc and drive is remarkable Etta. Thanks for the inspiration.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

So glad you're continuing to feel better! I know the fatigue is frustrating--hope it gets better soon. I deal with that a lot, too. Wish I had a solution other than naps and caffeine. It's hard for me with medication to find a balance between too much fatigue and too much anxiety.

AdHoc said...

It is such an inspiration to read your blog. Fatigue is so difficult, but you´re doing it, you´re running despite the way you feel.


Feel free to check mout my blog
http://mountainsandmollhills.blogspot.com/



.