Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Countdown is On

One week from today, I'll be toeing the starting line at The Twin Cities Marathon. Although unseasonably warm weather is predicted for the upcoming week, the extended forecast has highs in the 60's for marathon day. That would be perfect, especially if it was overcast, too! For the first time this year, I wouldn't have weather to worry about. That would be a nice change.

I'm excited, anxious, and ready, I think, for the big day. I've certainly put in the training. I should be ready. Since early July, I've run five 20 milers. I've done speedwork at paces I didn't think I could hit, and I've completed long tempo runs which weren't always fun. So I did my homework. Next Sunday, we'll see how well it pays off. This is a marathon, after all, and marathons are known for screwing up the best laid plans. Anything can happen. I hope everything falls into place on marathon day.

My friend, D, is running The Chicago Marathon the same day. D is the old boyfriend. We're still talking about renewing our relationship. Well, I think we have renewed it, but it is at a much slower, more cautious pace than previously. He's still worried about the depression. I'm still worried he's going to disappear the next time I have a significant episode. Hence, the abundance of caution. It's good. We're moving along.

It's cool that he's running a marathon the same day, as we've been able to commiserate during training. And I'm really looking forward to talking with him after we've both crossed our respective finish lines. Hopefully it will be a good day for both of us.

Seven days and counting... I'll be relieved when the starting gun is finally fired.

5 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I can sense your anticipation in your words. I hope you have fine weather and fine running conditions and things go well for you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are ready! Good luck with marathon and D!
Nancy

dreambigrunner.com said...

You had a fantastic training cycle.You will do great! Run happy, dream big!

midnight rainbow said...

I hope you are able to make it to race day with all that excitement you've got! lol Good luck to you and following your dream! :)

Jen Daisybee said...

You sound excited. Good luck next week!



.