Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, October 21, 2012

A nice time

It's Sunday afternoon, and D has just departed for home. I'm a little sad. And I'm very tired.

D arrived Friday around 6:30 PM. I was anxious prior to his arrival, but once he was in my house, I felt better. We ate out both Friday and Saturday nights, went to a pumpkin patch for some Fall activities Saturday afternoon, visited with my parents, and visited with my good friends Bill and Cindy. In between, I ran 13 miles (he ran 6) Saturday morning. We drank coffee, read the paper, walked Puck, talked a little politics, and just hung out. The subject of my depression didn't come up, and that also felt totally okay. It was a nice weekend.

Now I'm sitting here watching football and wishing we had more time. After all, he wasn't even here for 48 hours. It was too short, one week would have been better. But that's not realistic at this time. We're both busy with our lives. In fact, it may be mid to late November before we even have a chance to see each other again. That's a long time. Life. It is what it is.

The real news is we had a nice time. Everything went well. We were comfortable with each other. December, 2011, was the last time we spent a weekend together, and this felt just like old times. I'm happy.

5 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

That's the important thing--you're happy, and you had a nice time together. I'm glad! :-)

dreambigrunner.com said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend!! Is there a chance to move closer at some point?

Richard Sutton said...

Getting to spend a little quality time with each other is better than no time at all. It sounds like it went really well and maybe D would want to visit again but sooner this time?

Just Another Person said...

That is great that you are jogging! I went jogging today too! I used to be really athletics but ever since my depression worsened, I am more a couch/bed potato. Its great that you had a nice weekend!

J said...

Your blog is helping me deal with my own depression. Thank you!



.